Monday, July 2, 2007

Have you ever cried in an airport?

I have - at least twice. When I was in law school, I had gone to visit Ryan over a long weekend in Dallas when he played for the Cowboys. This was before 9/11 when you could still walk a person up to the gate. We said our goodbyes and as I walked towards the plane, I just lost it. I had no idea when I'd see Ryan again.

A couple of years ago, I got word that a good friend had been killed in a horrific accident. I booked a flight from Buffalo to Los Angeles and I think I cried all the way home.

Today, in the airport in Las Vegas, I cried. After having a really pleasant flight from Buffalo to Vegas, Will just completely lost it. Little guy decided to forego his mid-day nap and boy did we pay for it. He SCREAMED for about 20 minutes while we waited to board our connecting flight to Los Angeles. I was cool for a little while - I pretended to ignore the stares of all the other waiting passengers while I tried to calm my exorcist-possessed child. But after a while, that didn't work. I could see all of these people staring at me with these accusatory looks saying "why don't you do something?" Thing is, there was nothing I could do. So I just let him scream. And I cried.

That was rough. We made it to L.A. without further incident. And Will still hasn't napped. Hell hath no fury like a two-year-old who hasn't napped... And this scares me...

1 comment:

Maribeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.