Tuesday, July 3, 2007

When the lights go out...

We spent a very warm southern California afternoon in a nice, cool movie theater. Ryan, my nephew Corey and I decided to check out Transformers before heading to our favorite sushi spot for dinner. The movie was incredible - so.much.fun! I was pleasantly surprised - I had no idea I'd enjoy it so much. I highly recommend it.

My sister Andrea (Corey's mom) had been watching Will and met up with us at our sushi joint. We'd ordered our food and were contentedly eating edamame when all the lights went out. Alarms starting ringing. A voice came over the P.A. system - "Stay calm. A fire alert is being investigated. Do not panic." Well, we didn't. Everyone seemed to ignore the alarm. The waitresses continued to deliver martinis, sushi boats were being enjoyed by the customers, etc. It was really interesting. I don't think any of us every wondered if there was a real emergency. We'd all just assumed it was nothing.

After sitting in the dark for about thirty minutes, we realized this was not a small deal. Sure enough, the entire complex, which is huge (the Howard Hughes Center in L.A.), was in the dark. Apparently there had been a small electrical fire in the parking structure. We heard rumors that it would be hours until the power was back on. I guess we'll have to wait until our next L.A. trip to enjoy our favorite sushi. But it was such an incredible exhibition on how we react to alarms. Thank goodness it wasn't a major emergency.

No comments: