Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I can't believe it's come to this!

I am flying home to Texas tomorrow to close up shop on our house for the football season. With all the repairs done, our surviving furniture and clothes are being delivered and I'm interviewing two potential housesitters to keep an eye on things while we're gone. This is a quick trip - I fly out on Wednesday night and plan on returning Friday evening. Doesn't sound too bad, right?

Well, with my recent travel nightmares, going on such a short trip creates so much anxiety for me that my stomach aches. With all of the recent cancellations and delays I've experienced, the fear of getting stuck in Dallas and not being able to get back for the opening game Sunday here in Buffalo has me paranoid.

I'm flying Delta this week - I haven't flown the airline in a while because I had a really bad experience once out of Atlanta. I was traveling alone with Will when he was about 3 months old, it was pouring outside, I had all of my baby gear in tow, and we had to board a small prop plane outside in pouring rain that had been delayed several hours. Not one person (airline employee or passenger) offered any help. By the time Will and I got on the plane, we were both soaked and crying. It was terrible. I'm not sure what Delta's track record has been with delays and cancellations this summer, so we'll see.

But it has come to this - as I sat here this morning watching the Today Show report that rains from hurricane Felix are going to pound Texas this week, I hopped up, turned on the computer, and booked a refundable ticket out of Dallas-Love Field on old faithful - Southwest Airlines. The flight is for Saturday if I somehow get stranded by Delta on Friday. It's nice to have a dependable back up, but it just floors me that my traveling experiences have been so bad that I've felt the need to take these steps. Stay tuned...

No comments: