Friday, September 21, 2007

Saying Goodbye...

Every time I part ways with someone, two songs always seem to pop into my head. Remember "It's Time For Saying Goodbye" from The Muppets Take Manhattan?" Yeah, that one always does it for me. Even worse, I'm embarassed to say I saw The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas way too young, but "Hard-Candied Christmas" is the other song that really gets me misty-eyed when it's time to say "goodbye."

Both of these songs went through my head last night as Ryan and I said our goodbyes to Kevin Everett and his family who as of this morning are on their way back to Houston where they live. It was bittersweet last night - we are so excited that Kevin is doing well enough to go home, but we will miss he and his family terribly. Seeing Ryan say goodbye to his teammate was heartbreaking. With the Everett family headed back home, we'll try to regain a sense of normalcy around here, but it will be hard without having Kevin here.

We're lucky - we're Texans too so we're practically neighbors with Kevin and his family. Well, not quite - it's a big state. But from now on if anyone asks us if we have family in Texas, the answer is going to be "you bet." We will head to Houston as soon as we can after the season to go visit.

Our prayers continue to be with Kevin and his family - that he continue his miraculous recovery and that his family continues to have the tremendous strength necessary to get him through the months of rehab he'll endure. If anyone can handle it, it's them. Being around this family for the past couple of weeks has taught me so many lessons about perserverance, love, hope and faith, and my life is better because they are a part of it.

No comments: