Friday, October 5, 2007

And the hits just keep on coming...

The Bills lost yet another player for the season today. Peerless Price, one of the team's premiere receivers, had surgery on his neck, thus ending his 2007 season. Peerless is the ninth Buffalo Bill who will go on injured reserve less than 5 games into the NFL season. To call the injuries to this team an epidemic seems like an understatement. We've not been able to get through a week without experiencing some season-ending catastropic injury. It's frightening really - I actually tense up every time Ryan's on the field. I don't watch the play - I watch him to make sure he gets up and can run off the field. I watch him when he gets to the sidelines to make sure he's not going to see a trainer for an ache or a pain. As all the fans are entertained by the razzle dazzle on the field, I only care that Ryan and his teammates are okay.

Injuries happen. It's inevitable. Every team will experience them. But this year they just seem so bad. You get used to guys pulling hamstrings, twisting ankles, etc. The neck and spinal injuries, the broken bones - these things just don't happen at such a high rate this early in the season.

I went through a plethora of emotions today when my good friend called telling me her husband was going in for surgery. The first was disbelief - how on earth could this be happening...again! Then I chuckled - seriously, how could this be happening? Then I cried - for Peerless and his family, knowing the uphill battle he faces in addition to coming to terms with the fact that his season is over. Finally, I got mad. It's just not fair. These are good guys who work hard who deserve to succeed. They are beat down and broken, yet they give their all and play with their hearts and souls every time they are on the field. It just makes you want to ask "why?" I don't think we'll ever know the answer to that....

No comments: