Friday, October 26, 2007

Hard Candy Christmas...


I was way too young the first time I saw the movie Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. If I had to guess, I was probably 6 or 7. Not really aware of what was really going on in the movie (thank goodness), I remember being infatuated with the singing, dancing and costumes. There was one song in particular that has stuck with me all of these years. As the "girls" pack up and head out as their ranch is being closed down, they sing the song "Hard Candy Christmas." I remember being so sad because I realized everyone was saying goodbye. Since then, this song always comes to mind when I have to part ways with a good friend.

Last night I had to say goodbye to my good friend Blake. Her husband Brad was cut at the end of training camp. They finally sold their house and are heading back to Chicago. I couldn't help but to cry as we hugged and said our goodbyes. Blake has been an awesome friend - she's always the life of the party and will have you laughing for days. I know we'll stay in touch, but not having her here is going to be tough.

Prior to Ryan and I arriving in Buffalo years ago, we were always the ones packing up and leaving. Since being here, we've seen so many wonderful people come and go. It just sucks. It's so bad that some wives choose not to bond with the other girls because of the constant uncertainty and heartache. That's not me though - my life is better because of the friendships I've formed over the years.

Leaving Blakes, I got in my car and headed home. Sure enough, within minutes of sitting in silence as I wiped tears from my eyes, the words popped back into my head...

"I'll be fine and dandy, Lord it's like a hard candy Christmas, I'm barely getting through tomorrow, but still I won't let sorrow bring me way down..."

No comments: