Saturday, November 24, 2007

This Christmas...

Ryan and I went to the movies last night and saw "This Christmas." This is a fun movie about love, hurt, celebration, pain, disappointment, laughter, hope. In the end, it's all about the importance of family.

I come from a very close family, most of whom are in Los Angeles. Holidays are always a big deal - everyone usually meets up at granny's or my mom's for dinner. And the get-togethers often times go into the wee hours of the night. I miss those times.

I called my mom in California after the movie to tell her how great it was. She told me she was making some food for my nephew Corey who I haven't talked to in a while. She passed the phone to him and we got to chit chat. Next, he passed the phone to his mom, my sister Andrea. After chatting with her a bit, she handed the phone to my other sister Kristi. As we wrapped up our conversation and we said our goodbyes, my eyes started tearing up. I miss my family. Being on the other side of the country definitely takes its toll. I'm a little homesick.


Enter another aspect of the NFL life that is really unique - we haven't spent the holidays with family since 2002. The NFL season coincides with Thanksgiving and Christmas. On these holidays, Ryan is either at practice most of the day or getting ready for a game unless the holidays happen to fall on a Tuesday (the guys' day off). The coaches do make some concessions - the guys usually get to go in a little later so that they can be home to open gifts with their kids. And practice and meetings usually run a little bit shorter. After practice, we usually end up at the homes of friends which is always fun. But there's something to be said about spending the holidays with family.

There are positives to our situation - we haven't had to contend with the travel nightmares posed by the holidays. But I'd sacrifice a headache if it meant being able to spend the holidays with family. I look forward to the day when that's a possibility again.

No comments: