Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A death during the season...

Dealing with the death of a loved one is never easy. Having to deal with it during the football season is exponentially more difficult because it's not always practical or possible to be with one's family during the difficult times. It's not so easy to just take a couple of days off to fly home and attend a funeral - the show, I mean game, must go on.

Ryan's grandma passed away last night. I received the news from Ryan's mom this morning, and I immediately teared up because I knew that meant having to track down Ryan at work to give him the news. See, if Ryan had a normal job, I'd call his extension at work and give him the news myself, right? Instead, I have to call the Bills and talk to someone who then has to go pull Ryan out of meetings or practice to deliver the bad news. OUCH. Ryan called me back and he seems to be doing okay. I know he wishes he could be with his family right now, and it just isn't going to happen. The funeral is scheduled for Saturday at 4 p.m. - there's no way Ryan would be able to attend the funeral on the west coast and make it back to Buffalo in time for Sunday's game. Hopefully we'll find our own way to get some closure - in the meantime, please keep our family in your prayers.

No comments: