Saturday, December 1, 2007

This sucks!!!!

I have a urinary tract infection. The symptoms started Thursday afternoon. I felt a dull ache in my lower abdomen that migrated to my lower back. I didn't think too much of it, and was able to get through the day without a problem.

Then, at 3 a.m. on Friday morning, I woke up and was in a good amount of pain. I just couldn't get comfortable. I was finally able to get back to sleep. I called my ob's office first thing in the morning - I was convinced I was in the process of a miscarriage or something. Generally, I'm an optimist, but I tend to be a realist and can conjure up the worst case scenario in a heartbeat to prepare myself for bad news. The earliest the doctor's office could get me in was 1:45 in the afternoon.

I sat in pain most of the day. And the pain got worse. I'd be driving down the street in tears because my back hurt so bad and I was so uncomfortable. Once at the doctor's office, I could tell that Friday afternoon "rush" was on! The staff just sort of took their time. No one was in much of a hurry. All the while, I'm still thinking I'm getting ready to lose the baby.

The nurse calls me back and I go through the usual routine - pee in a cup, get weighed, have my blood pressure checked, etc. The nurse flippantly says, "Oh, you've got blood in your urine." No further explanation. I probably went white. Again, assuming the worst, I just knew I was having a miscarriage. She took me back into the examination room, and I was happy to hear bean's heartbeat pumping right along at 150 beats per minute. Still the best sound ever. The nurse said the midwife would be in shortly.

Ten minutes pass. Twenty. Thirty. Almost 40 minutes later the midwife casually makes her appearance as tears are literally streaming down my face. I'm scared, I'm in pain, and she doesn't seem to care one bit. Aren't midwives supposed to be nurturing, more caring? I got nothing. After the brief examination, she concluded I had a UTI. Relieved that nothing was wrong with the baby, I immediately knew I was in for a fight - I've heard that UTIs are no joke. She prescribed me an antibiotic and I was on my way.

Being the trooper I am, I came home to get ready for a major outreach event we do every year. It's called "Night With the Bills" and it's held at the Buffalo Christian Center. It's a really fun night with music, testimonies, the whole nine yards and the kids just love it. So I hop in the shower to wash my hair. Ouch. I'm in pain. I get out and conjure up the energy to blow dry my hair. Ok, I don't feel good at all. By the time I was done, I wanted to ball up in pain. But I couldn't - that hurt too much. It hurt to stand, it hurt to lay down, it hurt to sit, it hurt to bend down. I called my doctor's answering service - I needed to know what was going on. The person on call, once I actually got in touch with her over 30 minutes after my initial call, almost yelled at me saying "Well what do you want me to do from here? Go to the emergency room!" Shock, coupled with fear, and I was a wreck - completely sobbing.

Interestingly enough, the pain subsided in all the chaos. I finally started feeling a bit better. Recognizing that I wasn't going to make it to the event, I succumbed to the comforts of my bed and went to sleep. Actually, I had a really good night's sleep - better than I've had in a while. I woke up this morning refreshed and ready to go.

I popped my antibiotic and got into "mommy mode." As I prepared Will's breakfast, I felt a familiar tinge in my back. Uh oh - the pain's coming back. Sure enough, within the hour, I was once again in pretty bad pain and started contemplating a trip to the emergency room. But this is no easy feat - Ryan's at work and will be leaving this afternoon for Washington D.C. A trip to the emergency room would require some coordination. But I have to prepare myself for the option and I've got some people on call just in case.

As of right now, the pain isn't horrible, but I'm not feeling great. I called the helpful 24 hour nurse line provided by our insurance company (I refuse to call my doctor's office) and was told that if the pain gets worse, I should go to the hospital because I may have a kidney stone. So we're gonna hang on for a little while to see how I'm feeling. If the pain comes back by this evening, I'll head to the emergency room for some pain medication. But what a major PIA!

3 comments:

anne said...

hey Dawn, it's Anne...I've been keeping up with your blog and had to comment on this. It really sounds like you have a kidney infection - this is exactly how I felt when I had one (well, two at the same time!) a few years ago. You really should go to the ER, like right now. If it gets worse, it can really do some damage to your kidneys. I'll be surprised if this isn't what's going on from what you've described - I know it's pure agony and I'm sorry you're going through this! But please go get it checked out today. It's only going to get worse and a UTI is not like this at all.

Barbara said...

When I was pregnant with Mikey, I had the exact same thing - at about 4 or 5 months along. My lower back hurt so bad i was crying, bent over in pain on the phone with the doctor. After seeing him, I found out not only did I have a UTI, but also a bladder infection. I got some antibiotics, and it took about a week or more for the pain to go away. It really sucked. Both of which are very common during pregnancy if the little bean is sitting in the right spot. Good luck - I hope you found some relief!

Wendy Hagen said...

What's the update? AND please kick your OBGYN to the curb! That is ridiculous. You must get a new doc. Maybe your doc is nice, but I don't care. With that kind of assistance or lack thereof...Yikes. Don't mess with a pregnant woman.