Friday, January 11, 2008

So much for a stress-free, blissful pregnancy...

My obstetrician called this morning. You never, ever want to see your OB's number on your call waiting after a test - they only call if something is wrong. I immediately knew something was wrong.

My doctor informed me that I have placenta previa. This is a condition in which the placenta is positioned over the cervix. It shouldn't be. More often than not as the pregnancy progresses and the uterus continues to grow, the placenta will hopefully correct itself and move out of the way. If the placenta doesn't move, complications can arise. In order to protect the baby, I'd most likely end up on some sort of bed rest for an extended period of time. If things got worse (i.e. if I start bleeding, etc.), I could be subjected to an extended hospital stay, early delivery, a c-section, etc. Needless to say, I'm going to be hoping and praying the placenta moves on its own.

The good news is that the baby is fine. The bad news is that I've got to alter my life a bit - no exercise or strenuous activities (that includes all strenuous activities - use your imagination - poor Ryan) for the rest of the pregnancy. This will certainly be a time of adjustment for me, so please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

So let's see - time to start keeping a tally of pregnancy speed bumps this time around...

Strep B - check (will require antibiotics to be administered during labor)
Placenta previa - check (requiring continued monitoring throughout the pregnancy and a drastic lifestyle change)

Let's hope the only phone calls I get from the doc's office from here on are appointment reminders.

1 comment:

ryan and laura said...

take care of yourself girl! hope that placenta moves over on it's own....