Monday, June 23, 2008

Isn't it ironic???

I remember years ago when Ryan and I first came to Buffalo. We needed a television and met up with a chatty salesman at Circuit City. He asked where we lived and we told him Hamburg. He said, "oh, you're right by the lake." Naive as can be, I replied, "What lake?" He looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and said, "Um, lake Erie." Unbeknownst to me, the great city of Buffalo sat on one of the great lakes.

We drove by the lake a lot, especially over the ten months or so driving Will to and from school. The lake is just beautiful - expansive and majestic. It seems to go on forever. Funny thing though - we never actually went to the lake. In the five years we've been here, we've never officially visited Lake Erie. That all changed today. Crazy that we didn't actually visit this big ol' lake until our last day here.

After we said a tearful goodbye to Will's wonderful teachers, we made our way to the lake where we met up with Fred & Kathy Raines. Fred is the chaplain for the Bills and he and his wife have been incredible spiritual mentors for us over the years. We'd asked Fred if he'd dedicate our babies before we left and he agreed. Our little ones were both born here in Buffalo, and it was really a wonderful thing to dedicate their little lives to Christ here as well.

It's been a tough and exhausting day. I think I've gotten 10 hours of sleep at the most over the past 72 hours. It's really starting to catch up to me. Our plane leaves really early in the morning to, so I won't be getting much sleep tonight either. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on some zzzz's once we're home.

That song has popped into my head again - "Fine and Dandy" from Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." It always pops into my head when I think about goodbyes. I just hate them. I had dinner with two of my closest friends here, and honestly, I couldn't think of a better way to spend my last night in western New York.

Okay, the clock is ticking - 4 hours until it's time to get up for the airport. Certainly Miss Bryn will be ready to eat soon too, so we'll try to get as much sleep as we can before we head to the Buffalo airport for one last flight out of B-town!

No comments: