Monday, June 30, 2008

Little Lucifer

My dear Will - boy, can this kid give his mama the blues sometimes! I call him Little Lucifer on occasion because of the devil child he can become. The tantrums he can throw are ruthless. His screaming seems demonic sometimes. He's a hitter and sometimes kicker. And please don't laugh around him - he doesn't like that at all! As parents, we've done everything we can to try to "control" or manage his behavior - timeouts, spanking, etc. and nothing seems to work. So we pray - at least it makes us feel better about the situation, and hopefully God is somewhere up there listening and will help us out with this one soon!

Will has a had a pretty difficult time coping with Bryn's arrival. He is doing everything in his power to attract attention to himself. A week or so after Bryn was born, Will would focus on the adults in his presence. If she cried, he'd hit someone. He was usually indiscriminate - any adult in the room was fair game. A week or so after that, he focused his attention on whomever was holding Bryn - he would go after them. Finally, last week, he decided that Bryn was fair game and will actually go after her. One day the three of us were in Babies R Us when Bryn started to cry. Will turned around, pulled Bryn's carseat towards him, and grabbed her face. Luckily she seemed unphased, but I was absolutely sick to my stomach.

We're now at the point where we're always on pins and needles when the two kids are around each other - we've even resorted to taking separate cars to get to the same place because of the massive amounts of crying and stress in the car (not cheap with gas prices these days). Bryn will start crying, then Will will start crying, then they both scream and cry until we get to our destination. By then, I'm ready to cry! So separate cars it is.

I know this is just a phase. Will has gone through an unbelievable amount of change recently. Change is stressful for anyone - it's even more traumatic for a kid like Will who thrives in stable and consistent environments. We're doing our best to make things normal for him here. I've already had him evaluated for speech and physical therapy services here in Frisco. He'll start a three week summer camp soon. And hopefully we'll hear from the school district so we can find out what his situation will be in the fall. But in the meantime, we'll just keep praying that the devil child will learn to love his little sister and that this phase will pass soon!

In the meantime, my family comes to visit this week - um, he'll really be acting out then because of all the new people to get attention from. It's a shame that I feel like I have to warn my family that Little Lucifer can flip out at any moment and to be on guard!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Oh, I really feel for you on this one. I wouldnt feel bad to have to warn your family about his behavior, afterall, it's family, and they will all understand. I used to have to warn people about how Mikey would just fling his head back to try and purposfully head butt you in the face. I was hit a few times, and MY GOD I have seen stars. Not something you want an 80 year old aunt to endure. With that said, I think after a little while Will will calm down, especially once Bryn starts moving around on her own. Until then.... {{{{{HUGE HUGS}}}}