Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My little chubba wubba

Bryn had her first appointment with our new pediatrician here in Frisco. First, the stats - little miss thang weighs 12 lbs 11.5 ounces - that puts her in the 90th percentile for weight! And she's 22 2/4 inches long, which puts her in the 80th percentile for height.

Now, let's discuss the visit. The doctor basically told me that Bryn is fat without really saying so. He starts telling me that she needs to be on a feeding schedule and that she should only be eating every 4 hours or so. He went on to say that babies who are overweight (she seems pretty average to me) at 4 months are heavier as the grow up. Okay, whatever - I'm not buying it. Will wasn't on any sort of schedule and he chunked up as a baby and is a little stick now.

As for Bryn's immunizations - we have decided to do a delayed vaccination schedule with Bryn. She'll still get immunized - she just won't get so many shots at once - we're just spreading them out. When I mentioned to the pediatrician that we were following the schedule, he told me that there was no scientific evidence justifying a delayed schedule and that bringing Bryn back every month for a shot amounted to cruel and unusual punishment rather than letting her scream it out at one appointment with five shots every couple of months. Not cool. I understand that he may not agree with the schedule, but to make me feel ridiculous for making this decision was just a little uncomfortable for me. As a parent, I should be able to make the decisions that I feel are right for my children. It's one thing for him to discuss the scientific justifications against a delayed schedule - it's not okay for him to berate me and insert his personal opinions on the matter. I stuck to my guns though, and Bryn only got one shot yesterday! :)

The good news is that I've finally uploaded some pics of little miss, so enjoy...




4 comments:

The Barnes Crew said...

Hello! I stumbled onto your blog from a friends friend...I've enjoyed it! I just read what your doctor had to say, and if I were you I'd be looking for a new doc...he obviously doesn't share your views or respect them. Oh and to tell you that your baby is overweight, c'mon...I could understand him saying that if she were off the charts but not in the 90th%! I have 4 kids and they all were in the 90% at around that age and are far from overweight now (12,9,6&3 years old). Also, my prayers are with your family for your hubby...my hubby works for college football so I understand a little of your world.

Amy (Metz) Walker said...

Cute, cute, cute pics!

I can't stand how demeaning doctors can be sometimes. You have every right to be an advocate for your own body and especially for your own baby - even if they have a medical degree & the "evidence says", blah, blah, blah...! Glad you held your ground...

Derek & Charyl said...

oh my gosh!!! She is so cute. she looks so different. Miss you guys

JdeLou said...

I love me some baby with cheeks!!! So sweet!

I hope you try a new doctor!