Friday, August 15, 2008

Here we go...

Frisco Independent School District better watch out because I'm on a mission.

A little background - back in October of last year, I started researching the resources for Will here in Texas. I was shocked at the lack of services offered by our school district, which is why we decided to stay in Buffalo through the end of the school year to keep Will at his incredible school. I know it's the best decision we've made so far for Will, but now I'm kicking myself that we didn't sacrifice a little bit longer to stay up there one more year.

Anyway, we're back in Texas dealing with the reality of our school district. From the beginning, I could tell Frisco ISD had some issues. It's hard getting in touch with people. It takes forever to get a phone call returned. They've given me the absolute run-around since we've been home. Here we are a little over a week from the start of school and I have absolutely NO IDEA what's going to happen with Will on the first day of school.

I'm not kidding you - I literally just got off with this lady I've spoken to several times before who basically just told me they've been too busy to deal with Will. Their diagnosticians just got back in on Tuesday, but they've been in trainings. The lady in charge of the special ed department was out of the office yesterday and again today. Why are they not there in the weeks leading up to the beginning of school? Even the girl Shannon I just spoke to admitted she didn't return my call yesterday because she was at a training.

Enough is enough. I told her today that I understand they are busy preparing for the school year, but in the meantime I'm not going to let my kid slip through the cracks. Until I get some answers, they're going to get sick of me. I've been way too complacent and it's time for us to figure out what's going on. I'll spend some time this weekend researching the command chain to see who I need to talk to.

If this is any indication of what's to come, we're in trouble. Actually, the school district is going to be in trouble because I'm not having it!

No comments: