Sunday, August 17, 2008

Why I'm a Michael Phelps Fan


Like many of you, I was glued to my television last night watching as Michael Phelps made history. Ryan, some friends and I were biting our nails down to those last ten meters where it looked like the American medley relay team clinched the gold. I couldn't help but get emotional while Michael Phelps stood on the podium and got teary-eyed while the national anthem played. It was a proud moment for him, and it made me proud to be an American.

As a former competitive swimmer, I have an inkling of the discipline and determination it takes to compete in these events. If you've every tried to swim the butterfly or navigate a flip turn, it's no easy feat. Yet, this incredible human being almost made it look easy. I have no doubt Michael Phelps is indeed the best Olympian of all time.

I've learned interesting tidbits about Michael Phelps over the past couple of weeks. First of all, his mom is a rock star. There she was cheering him on and all of his events. You could see the pride in her eyes and how much she cares about her son. Then I learned that Michael was bullied as a kid, that he was diagnosed with ADHD when he was younger and how he had to be medicated. Amazing enough that he was able to overcome that disability. I read about his dad is pretty much absent from his life, and has been since his parents divorced when he was 9 or 10. And I learned this morning that Michael Phelps listens to hip hop before his races - Young Jeezy, Eminem, Lil Wayne. I watched as he almost cried listening to his sisters talk this morning on The Today Show. He's a good kid. And I'm a fan. I'm so proud that I was able to share his incredible Olympic moments.

1 comment:

Kim & Jeff said...

I've been GLUED to my tv watching him. He's incredible all around. Another fun fact: when he got a DUI in Michigan a few years ago while there for school, he called many of the top sports reporters to personally apologize for what he had done and for setting a bad example for the people who look up to him. Such character and such a fun story to follow this summer!