Friday, November 14, 2008

Happy half birthday baby Bryn!!!

Our little lady is 6 months old today. She weighed in at 18 lbs 4 oz (still in the 90th percentile) and is 27 inches long (also in the 90th percentile). She's still our big girl. We've been given the go ahead to start giving her some baby foods, so I'm certain we will have some fun pictures to share of mealtimes soon.

I've decided to change pediatricians though. Bryn is currently on a delayed vaccination schedule, so instead of getting a bunch of shots, she was only supposed to get one along with the Rotavirus vaccine which is given orally. Well, the pediatrician's office didn't have the Rotavirus vaccine because they changed distributors or something. The options I was given were: (1) take Bryn to the health department; (2) hunt down some Care Now mobile clinic she started talking about before I gave the nurse an "are you freakin' kidding me?" dirty look; or (3) do nothing since it won't harm her in any way if she doesn't get the third dose of the vaccine (which begs the question - why do they recommend it then if kids don't necessarily need it?). So I opted to do nothing and promptly booked a 9-month well check appointment for Bryn at another office. The new doctor should be a great choice for both kiddos since she apparently takes a holistic approach to treating children - NO MORE GETTING GRIEF OVER OUR DELAYED VACCINATION SCHEDULE! Woo!

1 comment:

Wendy Hagen said...

Yeah for Bryn and a new doctor. By the way, I don't remember if I told you that I finished The Vaccine Book. Very good. I was doing all kinds of research myself. Breaking down each vaccine, etc. Basically trying to do what the book did. So it is great to have that resource and recommend it to others. We are fortunate with a great (and apparently rare) ped that puts up with my vax schedule or lack thereof.