Sunday, November 2, 2008

SHUT UP!!!

Oh, what I would give for a good night's sleep! I thought I was going to get one last night but it didn't happen. I flew to Los Angeles yesterday morning on a 6:40 a.m. flight to attend a memorial service for a friend's mom. I settled in at my mom's house last night and got in the bed around 7:30 (which is 9:30 CST - not too far from my bedtime). I knew I had to get up around 3 a.m. to catch my 6 a.m. flight, so I was determined and ready to go to sleep. I didn't have much luck with that.

The first nuisance was my sister's dog Jinx. Jinx started barking and wouldn't stop. That went on for a while. Then someone in my mom's neighborhood was having a party and you could hear the constant thump of bass from DJ speakers. Not fun. Then, the phone started ringing. With the election right around the corner, my mom's been getting a ton of election-related marketing calls. I picked up the phone after it kept ringing and ringing and when I heard the recording, I hung up. Then the phone rang again. Same message, so I hung up. The phone rang yet again. Same message. Apparently if you don't listen to the message, it will keep calling back. I finally turned off the ringer. To cap the night off, just as I started dozing off to sleep, the neighbor's kids decided to head outside for a spirited pick up basketball game - at 10 o'clock at night. I didn't get to sleep until after 11!

The time change SUCKS, because it's not even 7:30 yet and it looks like I'll be in bed by 8 tonight. Barring any unforeseen parties, thunderstorms, etc., I should actually be able to get to sleep soon. Some rest will surely help me out with this gnarly cold I'm fighting!!!

No comments: