Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What I'm thankful for...

Last year around this time, we met a wonderful little boy named Owen at a charity event in Buffalo. Owen wasn't a healthy little guy - he'd been in and out of the hospital for most of his young life. He had tumors everywhere. Yet, he smiled. He was so happy and full of life. I remember speaking to Ryan on our way home that night about how meeting Owen would forever change our lives.

I learned recently that little Owen passed away a couple of months ago. I pray that his family is at peace, especially during the holidays when we seem to miss our loved ones more than any other time of year. I hope they know that Owen was an amazing kid and that he changed people's lives.

I thought about Owen today. We took the kids to the Ft. Worth zoo for a little pre-Thanksgiving fun. There were kids everywhere! Will seemed to be having a blast, especially in the children's play area. I was thankful in that moment that he's here - that he's not sick like so many other little kiddos are. In spite of all of his issues, Will is our little angel, and I will never, ever take him for granted.

Which brings me to his Will-isms for the day.

*I'd bought Will a ball in the gift shop on our way out of the zoo. When I handed it to him, he replied "What is that?" Again, he responded appropriately and in context - a major plus for our little guy.

*Even more amazing is what happened when we got home. I broke out the camera show Will some of the pictures I took of animals today. I showed him the first picture and asked him what it was - he correctly responded "ELEPHANT." I showed him the next picture and again we got a correct response - "LION." So I said, "Okay smart guy - if you can name this animal, you're just going to blow mommy away." Sure enough, he hit the nail on the head by identifying the "FLAMINGO." I seriously teared up. This is a major accomplishment for Will. He's identifying objects and things correctly - an important stepping stone for the rest of his development!

What thrills me is that we've yet to implement the new treatments his biomed doctor gave us a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to see what incredible improvements we see after that!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn, how amazing for your little guy!! I'm so happy for you both.
He looks soooooooo handsome in that pic :)

Rita

Kembree said...

Hi Dawn, I'm friends with Neisha and I was checking out her blog (she never updates!) and I saw your comment and checked out your blog, I saw that your husband played for the Bills. My boyfriend was there for a little while (a training camp) and said he at some point shared a locker with Ryan! Small world! Your kids are beautiful!! I hope I dont sound like a creepy blog reader..Happy Thanksgiving!