Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Insurance update

A rep from the insurance company called back yesterday (finally). She confirmed that Cigna does not provide coverage for services for children diagnosed on the autism spectrum. With my lawyer hat on, I mentioned that state law in Texas mandates insurance companies to cover autism treatment. She said she would look into it. I also mentioned that autism is considered a disability under federal law, and I wondered if denying coverage might result in some sort of federal discrimination lawsuit. Just some questions I threw out there for her. She said she'd check into that as well. We are officially appealing the denial so I've got to get all of my "evidence" together to submit. What a hassle, but I'm going to keep fighting, not just for Will, but for all kids with similar issues.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Good for you!! I am behind you 100%!!!