Tuesday, February 24, 2009

One down, two to go...

As I sit here pouring through an obscenely large stack of real property flashcards in order to get ready for tomorrow's multiple choice portion of the bar exam, I'm realizing how much of a spanking this test is. It all started last night after trying to cram hundreds of pages of criminal and civil procedure and evidence information into my brain. I took an Ambien at 10 p.m. knowing that I'd need help getting to sleep. 11 o'clock - still awake. 11:30 - still awake. I don't think I finally fell asleep until around midnight, which was quite frightening since my alarm was set to go off at 5 a.m. this morning.

This morning's portion of the bar exam is considered one of the easier parts of the test (if there is actually an easy part of the exam). But leave it to me to flub it up. The first portion of the exam is called an MPT. We're given instructions and a rather substantial file to go through and we had to create a persuasive memo based on the information, all within an hour-and-a-half's time. 45 minutes into the test, I hadn't started writing yet because I was still trying to organize the information. With 15 minutes left, I panicked. I started writing as much as I could as quickly as I could, and I realized that I'd combined two of my arguments. Why is this a problem? The MPT is all about organization and following instructions. I did both on a subpar level and can imagine I'll pay for it later.

Next was the procedure part of the exam. It's never good when you open the first page of a twenty-question test and you have absolutely no idea what the answer to the first two questions is. Again, panic. After practically hyperventilating, I refocused and managed to answer the questions, even if not correctly. Further adding insult to injury, I forgot that this portion of the exam is one in which they don't take points off for writing wrong information - they simply give points based on the correct information. With five minutes to spare, I actually crossed out some made up information I included. Who knows - it could've been right but I certainly won't get any points for it now. Oy... Today's portion of the exam is worth 20% - certainly not fatal, but points that would've been nice to have.

Tomorrow's another day - the infamous MBE portion of the exam. 6 hours of multiple choice questions - 200 in all. This is the part of the test that can really get people. It's a portion of the exam that I struggle with. Hopefully my preparations will suffice and I'll manage to answer enough correct to squeeze out a passing grade.

Okay, it's 9 p.m. I promised I'd take my Ambien earlier tonight in the hopes I'll actually fall asleep by 11. I need my sleep - exhaustion on the MBEs do not go together!!!

No comments: