Sunday, March 22, 2009

It's the little things...

I called Ryan last week oozing with excitement... and relief. "Ryan," I said. "Bryn pointed. She woke up from her nap and when I went in to get her, she was pointing at the ceiling fan." I could've shouted from the rooftop that my baby girl was pointing.

For parents of "normal" children, this may not seem like a big deal. For parents of children with autism, it is huge. You see, Will never really pointed at things like other "normal" children. It's one of the signs to look for - whether or not your child points. So to see Bryn point at things - the ceiling fan, pictures in books, the t.v. - allows us to breathe a sigh of relief (for now anyway). It appears that Bryn is hitting all of her developmental milestones and doesn't seem to be exhibiting any behavior that might be considered "autistic." It is amazing how awesome the little things can be when you know what it feels like not to experience them.

And who says kids can't learn anything from the television. Here's what Will learned the other day from the Baby First channel. He's signing and saying "I love you."
video

2 comments:

Wendy said...

awesome

Latisha Clardy said...

I'm so siked for you!!! Listen, I understand what you are going through and how happy you are about this moment. My oldest has severe ADHD combined-type and I thought things would never improve. Yet, he's going to high school in August and was on the honor roll this year. So, congrats on the milestone with Bryn and to see Will speak and do sign language is awesome. He brought me to tears!!

tish