Sunday, May 24, 2009

My next chapter...

I've been contemplating something for several weeks now. What do you think is scarier - sitting for a bar exam, or walking across a stage in front of 400-500 people in a white bikini? I haven't made up my mind yet - both tasks pose their own challenges. One thing's for sure - after June 13th, I'll know the answer.

Next month, I'll be representing the city of Frisco in the Mrs. Texas America pageant. I made the decision to compete about a month ago as I sat in a room full of beautiful contestants during a seminar for the pageant. These women from all over Texas were all stunning, smart, educated, and friendly. In order for me to compete, I knew I'd have to prepare, study, and practice. I knew right then that I'd found my next challenge. I've never competed in a pageant before, so this is a major challenge for me. And I like challenges - they keep me going and I love having a goal to work towards...

So back to the white bathing suit thing. Can you say "nightmare?" I've already been coached that I'm "curvy" and that if I sashay across the stage with my supermodel runway walk that I'm used to, I'm just going to attract more attention to my hips. Apparently my size 4 frame may pose an issue in the beauty pageant world. But you know - these curvy hips have birthed two children and for that, I'm tremendously proud. So please understand that there may be some hip action when I walk my walk on that stage.

One aspect of my participation in the pageant that I am extremely excited about is my platform - Autism Awareness. As you know, this is an issue near and dear to my heart. I think it's imperative we begin to spread the word about early intervention. Parents need to know the early developmental signs of autism and what to do if they notice them. I look forward to spreading that message!

Wish me luck - I've got less than three weeks to go before the big day!

8 comments:

Totally Desperate Mom said...

you are crazy. it's official.

Dawn said...

Well we knew that already! Now we have official confirmation!

R said...

No girlie, you're inspiring!! I guess i gotta log on here to keep up with you. It's probably too late to get tickets to come see you huh?

Keep me posted...

Dawn said...

Not too late at all! Just let me know!

Suzy said...

How very exciting for you! My mom's friend works the pagaent and loves the whole thing. Best of luck to you.

sammy said...

hmmm, all i ask is that you dont say 'di-iraq' or overly use 'like' and 'such as'!

hehe, good luck girl

Dawn said...

I promise I won't Sammy. I will try to sound somewhat educated... That poor girl. She'll never live that down.

Anonymous said...

I was readign about Mrs. Frisco on Firsco Online and your last name really sounded familiar. The I read your husband was Ryan, I realized that he went to the same High School as me in Morgan Hill. Small world! Congrats and good luck on Mrs. TX.