Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

I'm obsessed with taking photographs. I love taking pictures of Will and Bryn, of scenery, etc. In this day and age of digital photography, it's easy to take tons of pictures - and I do! A few weeks ago, I placed an online order for close to 500 prints! That includes any pics I've taken since January through May. Yes, photography is a bit of a hobby really.

I usually keep a compact camera in my purse just in case a photo op presents itself. I have two other cameras as well - one has an incredible zoom lens and I'd use it to take pictures of Ryan during his games. Unfortunately, it's not very fast. So, to make sure we catch our quick moving kids, we also have an SLR which is a must have for parents of little ones. It's my "go-to" camera whenever the kids are involved in one of my impromptu shoots.

Today, I was putting the prints I'd recently ordered in photo albums. I couldn't help pausing when I came upon certain pictures.



With it being father's day and all, I got a little emotional. You see, this is my twenty-third father's day without my dad. Dad died back in 1985 at the age of 43 from a massive heart attack. I was only 9. I think about him often, wondering how he's doing, if he's proud of me, if he's missing me as much as I miss him. But certain days - his birthday, father's day - are particularly difficult for me. I just can't help but to miss him and wish he was here.

Back to the photographs - seeing picture after picture of Ryan and the kids together made me smile. My kiddos will always have these pictures and they'll be able to remember so many special moments.

Of course, 20-30 years ago, there were no digital cameras - polaroids were the norm. Unfortunately, there just aren't that many pictures of me and my dad. That makes the few I have that much more important. I found this one today - I'm that cute cuddly baby mom is holding (and actually, as I look closer, I see a resemblance to Bryn).

Happy father's day dad. And a happy father's day to my mom, who had to fill the role of "dad" too as my sisters and I were growing up.

And to Ryan - happy father's day sweetheart. Here are some more of my favorites as a tribute to all you do!








No comments: