Thursday, November 19, 2009

After all these years...

When I was little, I decided I'd be an actress when I grew up. I even thought my first car was going to be a limousine. My mom obviously saw some potential in me so she enrolled me in acting classes at the Al Fann Theatrical Ensemble in Hollywood. From there, I went on to do some print work, featured extra work on shows like Webster and Punky Brewster, and even starred in an educational t.v. show called Fraction Subtraction. My career was short-lived though, as my love for sports, particularly swimming, took over. In college, I supplemented my studies at UCLA with some "modeling" work (let's be real - I became a resident video rat) but my focus was on school.

Oddly enough, when we were in Buffalo a couple of years ago, I found an awesome acting teacher (Frank Rossi) who reignited my desire to act. Just when I got settled with agents in both Rochester and Pittsburgh, I got pregnant and shortly thereafter we returned home to Dallas. Once home, I happened upon the Craigslist listing for my host position at The Bite and I haven't looked back since. There is a pretty decent commercial market here and I've managed to pick up some work.

Unfortunately, it's been a little slow the past couple of months. So imagine my surprise when my agent called this week with some big news! I was being cast as a news reporter in a big budget SAG motion picture that I had auditioned for months ago. After all these years - my first speaking role in a SAG film. Even more exciting was that I had to be on a plane that evening because the production is shooting in New Orleans. So after getting the okay from the awesome folks at the Bite (I had to ask for the day off - the first time I've done that in over a year of shooting) and getting the kids squared away, I was off!

I had three lines - but they were MY three lines. My big moment. And I messed up a couple of times, which was drama because about 100 extras needed to be reset every time I screwed up. But overall, I think I did a good job.

Now let's hope I don't end up on the cutting room floor and actually make it into the movie!

2 comments:

Kembree said...

Very cool! Congrats..

Mandy said...

love it! gives me hope I'm still young enough to figure out what *I* want to be when I grow up.