Sunday, November 8, 2009

Family...

Let me explain a little bit about my family. My memories of growing up include Sundays at granny's after church hanging out in the backyard or on the front porch in Los Angeles until the sun went down with the "family" - sisters, cousins, aunts, etc. Sometimes, there could be upwards of 30 people just kickin' it on a Sunday afternoon. My extended family isn't that big really - we just "adopt" people. Cousins' friends become "cousins," my mom's friends become "aunties." You get the idea. But everyone is a part of the fam-bam as we like to call it.

And we're close. I often joke that if someone breaks a pinky toe, all of us rally and head to whatever emergency room the family member is being treated for that broken pinky toe. No matter how big or how small the celebration, trial, etc., our family is always there.

So imagine my sadness when I heard the news this morning that our beloved aunt Adrian passed away after suffering a stroke this weekend. Adrian was a light - always the life of the party who could bring a smile to your face no matter what. She was much too young and taken way too soon. She is going to be missed terribly.

The fam-bam is mourning right now - no doubt getting together today at granny's, trying to comprehend the unfathomable loss of one of our own. It is a sad day - a day in which I wish I was much closer to home so I could be close to the ones I love. We'll miss you aunt Adrian...


4th of July, 2004 - Aunt Adrian is standing behind my nephew Corey

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that... That's so neat about your "fam-bam" though. We'll keep you guys in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Dawn...

~Marissa