Thursday, July 12, 2012

Please do me a favor...

Please don't ever fake a need for a disability accommodation at an amusement park - you make it harder for people like us who need them... My birthday is tomorrow (well - in about 10 minutes) and I have a tradition of going to Six Flags every year. I blogged recently about how they had changed their accommodations policy, obviously in response to people who abuse those accommodations. As my friend and I stood in line for the Texas Giant, the ride attendant Garrett (who was the sweetest young man) explained that there were passengers boarding that needed accommodations and he thanked us for being patient. The lady in front of my said, 'Can I ask you a question?' I couldn't hear what she and Garrett were talking about but I found out soon enough. She turned around and told her adult son that next time they came to the park, they would just go to guest services and tell them she has a disability, 'then they would get a fast pass for every ride.' You know I couldnt sit there and say nothing, so I said, 'The accommodations are great. We've used them for my son with autism and we usually bring a doctor's note saying he needs the accommodation.' She was quiet for a second but then responded that she had kidney disease. Sure, okay... Here I was with a person right in front of me conspiring to abuse the policy that makes trips to places like Six Flags possible for families like us. You know what I think Six Flags should do? Require a doctor's note describing the disability and what accommodations are necessary. And I think the note should have to state that in spite of the disability, the person seeking the accommodation is fit to ride. I know this makes things more difficult, even for the parents who legitimately need the accommodations, but I think this would be a good way to curb the abuse. Besides wanting to slap the ignorant lady, we had a great time at Six Flags!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this post! Same should be true for disabled parking placards!