Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Eat More Chikin...

On this Chick-fil-A appreciation day, I sat in my car eating my delicious Raising Cane's chicken fingers.  It was so good - chicken was so hot and juicy it burned the roof of my mouth...

As the day progressed, my friends, people I care about and love who I know are caring and loving, expressed their support for Chick-fil-A by standing in two hour lines to get that chikin.  I found it ironic that it was really hot today - around 110 degrees.  So all those Bible thumping folks waited in line in some hot as hell heat. 

Anyway, the support for Chick-fil-A broke my heart.  No, my soul.  Took me some time to put into words why, but this is it:

Growing up, I was raised in a traditional southern Baptist church. Women couldn't wear pants until sometime in the 90s. We were taught homosexuality was a sin. Then I went to college - my first week at UCLA in '99 was national coming out week. I was appauled to be surrounded by so many openly gay "sinners." The alcoholics and tarts - they didn't bother me so much. Then I met my first gay friend....
And we talked, and talked. I asked questions - he answered. We compared the plight of minorities (racial) to homosexuals. I fervently argued they weren't the same - I was born Black. I didn't choose to be a racial minority. My friend told me he didn't choose to be gay. I've tried hard to justify how these equality struggles are different. Over the years, it's become harder to explain why. Because the Bible says so? The Bible says a lot of things some Christians choose to ignore. So I opened my heart... and opened my mind. I vowed that as a Christian, I would do my best to walk in Christ and grow my personal relationship with HIM knowing I'm not perfect and never will be, and I refuse to pass judgment on others when they fall short or arent' following my same path. I don't pretend to know the depth of pain and disappointment my gay friends feel today - having so many people proudly express their opposition to them. All I can say is that I'm sorry. Please know that there are Christians out there who do love you. I believe in the Bible, I believe in free speech, I believe in equality. We'll see what God has to say about all that on judgment day.

No comments: