Thursday, December 13, 2012

Off the Field Shops at Sam's Club for Salvation Army Families

I look forward to this day every year.  It's the day NFL wives and girlfriends get together in cities all over the country to shop at Sam's Club for deserving Salvation Army families during the holiday season.  Now in it's sixth year, the event formerly referred to as the "Dream Drive" has helped hundreds of families by providing gifts, clothing, household necessities, and gift cards.  Twenty families are selected for each Sam's Club location participating in the event and each family receives up to $800 in gifts and a $200 gift card. 
 
The DFW areas represented today - it's always fun to reunite with old friends and meet some of the new wives and girlfriends who are a part of our crazy football spouse sorority.  We braved the cold this morning with our red aprons and jingling bells to give back.
 
 
One of the best parts about this event is being able to spend someone else's money to provide a wonderful Christmas for these amazing families.  It's so much fun grabbing video games and toys for the kids.  I had a calculator with me but it shut off halfway through my shopping so I had to guestimate how much I was spending.  Sure enough, I was over budget by about $40 - first time I've done that in 6 years!  It's all good though.  The sweet family of three I shopped for this morning will have a very Merry Christmas.
 
Thanks to Sam's Club and the Salvation Army for teaming up with Off the Field for this amazing event.  And make sure you visit the Off the Field website to find out more about the professional football players' wives association. www.offthefieldpwa.org
 



 
 
*Photo credit: thanks Kimberly Alexander and Miesha Jones

No comments: