Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas In The Hood

Gotta love social media...

I got a message on Facebook last weekend asking if I'd be interested in being in a stage play.  I checked my availability and thought, "Sure, why not."  I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  But I sure am thrilled I did.

"Christmas In The Hood" was written by Kendrick D. Young and opens tomorrow night at the Black Academy of Arts and Letters in Dallas.  I'll be splitting time with Lady Jade of radio station K104 as "Sybil" - the army sergeant who comes home to her dysfunctional family during Christmastime and confronts her absentee dad Cooper.  Jade will be performing during the week and I'll play Sybil Saturday and Sunday. 

It was clear during the first rehearsal that I was way out of my league.  With seasoned actors like Palmer Williams, Jr. and Tony Grant, I knew I had to bring my A-game.  The actors in this play are amazing.  I even get to perform with my longtime friend Nikki Scott Donley for the first time. And the fir heard Dana Hemphill sing, "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas," I literally started bawling - it was beautiful.

The play is a wonderful mix of the kind of family drama we can all relate to, mixed with wonderfully talented musical numbers that will warm your heart and soul.  There's even a little bit of twerking in the play.  This is a must-not-miss production and I am honored to be a part of this amazing cast.



No comments: