Monday, June 30, 2014

There is something wrong with me!!!!!

I while back, I sought medical attention for a variety of issues - extreme fatigue, heart palpitations, high blood pressure, sleep issues.  Over and over I was told the same thing - you're busy, it's stress.  Then last labor day, I was sitting at my desk in my home office after a weekend trip in Washington D.C. when I looked down and noticed by ankles were swollen.  We'd flown home earlier that day - certainly the enormous ankles must be because of the flight.  But I was worried so I headed to urgent care.

The nice young male nurse was nice and exchanged pleasantries with me while he was hooking me up to all of the intake gadgets.  At one point he said, "Your heart rate is a little high."  My response - "Well, I can feel my heart racing.  It does that.  But my cardiologist says I'm fine.  I did a stress test and an echocardiogram.  I have palpitations, but my heart is totally and completely healthy.  But what's my heart rate?"

147.

My resting heart rate should've been somewhere between 60-100.  It was 147.

My urgent care visit immediately turned emergent... and after a quick EKG to rule out a heart attack, I was sent home after two IV bags and fluid and told my potassium was low.

During the subsequent weeks, my neck became enlarged, my feet were swollen and I started losing weight.  One day, I stood in my office and I reached to get some papers and I realized my hands were shaking.  It was something like MS.  I just knew it.  That afternoon I sat in a doctor's office in tears saying I wasn't leaving until they told me what was wrong with me.  It wasn't stress.

That's my big ol' thyroid bulging in my neck... 






















I had blood work done - my thyroid levels were elevated.  They sent me to an internal medicine doc.  His diagnosis was almost instantaneous after listing off symptoms - hyperthyroidism.  I was at an endocrinologist's office the following day.

After swallowing a radioactive pill and having an ultrasound, I was told my thyroid was fine (no cancer), just overactive.  So I've been on medication since September.

These meds... I'm experiencing hair loss and weight gain.  I'm still tired all of the time.  I want to go to the gym but I just don't have the energy.  When I do go to the gym, I have to make sure I take blood pressure medication.  It's just a mess.

Hopefully I'll get some better results at my next appointment in July.  I will keep you posted.  But if you're experiencing any of these symptoms and your doctor tells you its just stress, have him check your thyroid!!!


1 comment:

Babylon said...

Thank you for sharing your experiences!
I do not understand why it took so long to diagnose you!Even a video thumbnail https://i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/9iC9Py-rCjE/mqdefault.webp clearly shows marked thyroid enlargement on your neck!(almost like an Adam's apple!)