Wednesday, October 29, 2014

One of those days....

I may have jinxed myself with my positivity yesterday...

Or maybe it was Glenn...

























But today was just all bad. I'm talking B-A-D bad.

Insomnia runs in my family (thanks mom) and last night was just one of those nights - a lot of tossing and turning with very little sleep, even after medicating! I knew today was going to be rough.

It was a busy morning - we had more people in studio than I've seen in a while. My co-hosts and I also had to set up a camping tent for a segment AND I had to pre-tape two segments. No biggie. Except I was tired. Really, really tired. My first satellite interview was with the one-and-only-all-sorts-of-award-winning Herbie Hancock. Having grown up with his songs playing on my mom's radio, I was excited to talk to him about his new book Possibilities. I'd done my research like I always do and took some time over the last week to read the book. There were all sorts of interesting things to talk about - from his drug addiction that he revealed for the first time in the book to the Buddhism he's practiced for years. Unfortunately for me, I made a mistake... a big one... right at the beginning of the interview. I excitedly asked about the Beverly Hills Cop theme Mr. Hancock had written. Only problem... he actually didn't write it. He smiled - then said it was a common misconception that he'd written it, then said again it wasn't him. Um, fail. And because I was so tired (and now a little frazzled... heck, a lot frazzled), it took me a couple seconds too long (in my book) to recovery. We chatted for another couple of minutes about his book, his music and any regrets he had in life (to which he answered, "No."). I thanked him for his time, read the tag, then the screen faded to black.

I WANTED TO DIE!

I don't like making mistakes. I make them - we all do. But I try to be prepared so that mistakes like this don't happen. I was hoping it didn't look as awkward as it felt, but it did. As producer Stuart exclaimed "DOH" loudly in the studio with all of our studio guests watching, I pseudo-hid in our dressing room because I was embarrassed. And mad at myself. I don't make those kinds of mistakes.

We were only two segments into the show, so I had to go back into the studio and get back to work. I had a great wine segment with the folks from Napa's Bennett Lane Winery. I gingerly sipped on one of the best blends I've had in a while... I wanted to chug-a-lug the glass then pour another one, then go hide in the tent we pitched earlier because I just don't mess up that bad. But then I read the tease for the next segment and energetically told viewers about the gentleman who'd be featured. Only problem... he was standing against the wall and wasn't told he needed to be in the tease! MISTAKE #2 of the morning. So I'm still tired, still reeling from mistake #1, then this happens. It was at that point I decided I was being punked. Or Glenn had cursed me. Either way, it wasn't one of my better days.

Thank God I get another shot tomorrow...

No comments: