Wednesday, April 29, 2015

I'm Unemployed... and I'm Totally Okay With It!

"What are you up to these days?"

"What's next?"

"Any plans?"

I've been asked some variation of these questions at least once a day since The Broadcast was abruptly pulled from the air last month. And I get it. People care. They are curious. They want to know when I'm going to be back on TV (soon would be awesome) or if I've gone back to practicing law (always an option). Naturally when someone loses a job, they have to find another one. I get it.

But here's the thing...

I'm totally cool with being unemployed. It's been a long time since I've been able to sleep in and do nothing all day if I so choose. I spent about 4 hours making six homemade invites for Bryn's upcoming 7th birthday extravaganza - and I liked it. Now that the sun has finally decided to come out in Dallas, I'm planning on laying out by the pool reading a magazine and sipping on a frosty cold beverage... because I can. The end of the school year is quickly approaching and I'm looking forward to enjoying the summer with the kids - museums, zoos, splash parks, Six Flags. Finally... after a very long time... I can do nothing at all. Or any and everything. And it's awesome.

I'm fortunate and blessed to not have to rush back into work right now. What a God send because Lord knows I needed the break. But being in this position is going to allow me to FINALLY work on a book that's been writing itself in my head for the past five years. Football, autism, reality TV, life AFTER football and everything in between... so many stories to tell. And it's time to tell them.

So that's what's next. Get the book done. Spend some quality time with my kids. Sleep in... hell, sleep at all. Do nothing. Or everything.

And that's awesome. 


No comments: