Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Destined for Greatness: Misty Copeland

I audibly shrieked when I came across the social media post last year - Misty Copeland was coming to Dallas to promote her book, "Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina." Who is Misty Copeland? She's a stunningly beautiful ballerina with the body of an athlete. Her Instagram page is full of insane, jaw-dropping powerful pics of athleticism in tutus and leotards. She's kind of a big deal. I bought my VIP ticket to the book signing then texted one of the guest coordinators on The Broadcast to see if she could get Misty in studio for a segment. Shortly thereafter, Misty was confirmed and I'd get to check an interview with this young lady off of my bucket list. 

The day of the interview, Misty walked into the studio all by herself. There was no entourage. No handlers or PR people. Just Misty with her perfect ballerina bun and beautiful smile. I'd read her book in the days leading up to the interview so I felt like I already knew her. We chatted about growing up in California and our shared childhood aspirations of being professional cheerleaders. Then I got a little serious with her - I asked how she felt about discussing race and racism during our interview. Misty is very candid and unapologetic when discussing racism and how it's affected her career. She was game. Nothing was off limits. She kept it real and I love her even more for that. 

The interview was awesome... we even had some adorable little ballerinas join us at the end of the second segment! CUTENESS ALERT! You can check out the interview here:


I knew big things were going to happen for this young lady. Sure enough, Misty was featured in an inspiring Under Armour ad campaign a couple of months after our interview and she BLEW UP! From appearances at Black Girls Rock and the MET Gala, she's become a style icon on red carpets from coast-to-coast. And she continues to do great work with the Boys & Girls Club and inspiring young ballerinas of color. 

Well, Misty made history today when she was promoted and has now become the first African-American principal ballerina of New York's American Ballet Theatre. There will be a mother-daughter trip to NYC soon to catch her on stage. Bravo Misty!


c. Brown Girls Do Ballet

c. Brown Girls Do Ballet

No comments: