Saturday, October 3, 2015

Movie Review: PAN

I don't get to see too many 3D movies. Actually, I don't get to see any. Will doesn't like wearing glasses during 3D movies so we've missed some great special effects and storytelling in these special flicks. Thank you autism. Well, Will had a Miracle League baseball game this morning so Bryn and I had a chance to check out a special PAN screening. And special it was!


























I loved this movie. This prequel is to Peter Pan as the play Wicked is to the The Wizard of Oz. You learn more about the characters you love (and love to hate). We learn about Peter's mother and how he ended up in the orphanage. We meet aloof but good looking James Hook and we see that he and Peter are going to be BFFs after overcoming Blackbeard's pirates. Tinkerbell makes a cameo. So do the Lost Boys. The gangs all here.

The good:
  1. I loved watching this in 3D. There is something about a cannonball that was shot out of a flying pirate ship coming straight towards your head that is just... intense. I'm curious to see how the movie looks in 2D - I want to know if it can still capture the magic of the 3D version.
  2. The movie was magical. From the beautiful triplet mermaids with their Cara Delevigne likenesses to the sparkly fairies, the movie was visually stunning. Even the fight in the sky between warplanes and the pirate ships was out of this world - literally.
The not-so-good:
  1. At one point I thought the movie might be a musical. Legions of men belting out "Smells Like Teen Spirit" reminded me of Moulin Rouge and Baz Luhrmann's genius, but it never quite hit the mark. There were a couple of songs, but the movie wasn't a musical. Was it?
  2. If you take your small kids to the movie, know there are scary clown pirates, fairies being incinerated, and news shared about a beloved mother's death. I looked down to real tears coming out of mini-me's eyes. She recovered.

The verdict: thumbs up! I loved this magical flick and I look forward to insisting on seeing more 3D movies in the future. I'll go see it again in 2D just to compare if the lightweight version can spread the same magic.

PAN starts October 9th. For more information, check out the Pan website.


No comments: