Thursday, October 8, 2015

Take It Easy... No Cartwheels!

So...

I had a hysterectomy Monday morning. I've had "chick issues" for years - polyps, irregular bleeding, etc. and figured since I will never have enough time to take six weeks off to recover, the right time for the surgery was now. 

As I was heading to the hospital early Monday, I got emotional. Even though I've known for years that we're done having kids, there is something very gut-wrenching (literally) about having the organ that allowed me to birth two children removed from my body. It's just so... final. And then I started thinking about the "what-ifs" - there is something very sobering about making sure your husband knows where your power of attorney is "just in case." There were a few tears. I was scared.

The procedure went well though. I had a decent-sized fibroid on the front of my uterus. We knew it was there but thought it was about the size of a plum. Nope - more like a lemon. My doc took pics and I can't wait to see them. The procedure was done totally laparoscopically - I've got three tiny incisions in my belly and one in my belly button. I feel like I did after my c-section with Bryn - sore, tired, stiff and in need of some serious abdominal support. I ordered Belly Bandit yesterday that will be here today. That'll help.

I'll spend the next couple of weeks recovering and doing a lot of nothing. I've had so many people insist I take it easy "because they know me." Well, I've mastered the art of doing absolutely nothing. I should put it on my list of talents. Of course, here I am writing this blog instead of sleeping, so there's that.

I'll keep you posted on my recovery. As of right now, I'm all good. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!

No comments: