Friday, July 1, 2016

A Gem in Austin - Lone Star Court

I love Austin. Had I known more about it before we moved to Frisco, we probably would've moved there. The hills, food, and lakes (and my beloved Lake Austin Resort) - I just love everything about it. Except the traffic. Traffic in Austin is LA-bad... it's so bad they need to start addressing the main thoroughfare as, "THE 35." So when my agent emailed me Wednesday with an audition in Austin yesterday, I started plotting an overnight stay (driving 7-8 hours there and back just isn't my thing).

I love the area around the Domain. There are incredible shops there (Luxe Apothetique is my fave), an iPic movie theater, and great outdoor space there, so I decided to look for a place to stay overnight nearby.















I came across Lone Star Court. It's a nostalgic, retro-style boutique hotel with a ton of modern amenities right across from the shops at the Domain. From the super comfy and spacious rooms, to the free parking (seems like a luxury these days) and the pool, I loved every bit of this overnight stay. There's a cool retro car near check-in and I noticed bright food trucks parked next to the hotel - yum. After an easy check-in, I took the elevator up to my third-story room. I noticed the retro, ranch-chic style right away, as well as the full-size fridge that was stocked with everything from water and sodas to champagne. The drinks and the snacks laid out on the table are available on the honor system - and I took advantage of it. I just told them what I'd consumed at check-out.
















With it's hip vibe and central location, I expected the hotel to be noisy. It wasn't at all even though my room overlooked a courtyard where people were hanging out chatting. I slept great.

After walking around at the shops for a bit and seeing Independence Day: Resurgence at iPic (the movie wasn't good - at all; I was disappointed), I made my way back to the hotel. I heard live music playing as I walked up and noticed that the bar was still open. I grabbed a cocktail then sat on the patio near the fire pit next to the pool and sipped my beverage while listening to the music. Loved the vibe. After the band wrapped up around 10, I walked up to my room and sat on the balcony in an orange rocking chair for another 20 or 30 minutes.















Then this morning, I walked back to the bar area for the complimentary breakfast. I was expecting danishes and bagels but was surprised to see fresh fruit, bacon, hash browns, oatmeal, cereal and a whole spread of other goodies. There was plenty of hot coffee and tea as well as juices (I couldn't find any champs for a mimosa, but I'm sure if I'd asked, someone would've gotten me some - had to drive back this morning so it's a good thing I didn't ask).

The stay wasn't perfect though. When I first entered my room yesterday, there was a Q-tip on the floor (ew) and the housekeepers had left a bottle of cleaning solution on the table near the snacks - the smell was pretty strong. And I swear there was someone else's hair on the floor in the bathroom (glad I had my flip flops). But these things were minor - no biggie.

I HIGHLY recommend Lone Star Court. It'll be my go-to hotel when I need to spend time in Austin.


No comments: