Friday, July 8, 2016

Please Pray for My City

The past couple of days have been rough. Two nights ago I posted the following on Facebook:

Alton Sterling.
You will hear his name a lot in the coming days.
Shot, point black, while being restrained by two police officers.
...
Both police cams 'fell off.'
Google it. There is video.

Alton Sterling died at the scene.

Then there was the video of Philando Castile being recorded by his girlfriend who was sitting in the passenger seat of his car when he was shot by a police officer. Castile's 4-year-old daughter was in the backseat and saw the whole thing.

Philando Castile died.

Two officer-involved killings of two black men who were either subdued or complying. Naturally, many of us are yelling, "Enough."

But when these shootings happen, I don't think about the Black Lives Matter movement necessarily. I take it more personally. I think about Will. Because of his autism, I don't know what would happen if he were confronted by police officers. If the tell him to stop or getting on the ground, he will probably ignore them. What if he starts walking away? What if he tried to reach in his pocket to get his cell phone to call me? What if he didn't comply? These thoughts keep me awake at night. And it was enough to cause enough stress for a while.

But then last night happened. I'd gone to dinner by myself at a local Tex-Mex restaurant we liked. I could tell I was getting some stares for eating alone. Is it really that big of a deal? But I decided to pay for the young lady's drink next to me and I tipped my waiter $20. Small gestures to hopefully bring a little happiness during a couple of rough news days. It felt good. I felt good. I was smiling.

But then I got home and immediately heard about a shooting after a peaceful protest in Dallas. Almost immediately it sounded really, really bad. As I sit here at almost 3 o'clock in the morning, I can tell you that 11 officers were shot. 4 Dallas PD officers and 1 DART officer were killed. The police were clearly targeted in a coordinated tactical attack. And now we mourn.

I've gotta be honest with you. I've enjoyed living in our bubble. When mass shootings have happened or terrorist attacks occur, it was never here. And while our hearts were always with those grieving cities, it wasn't here, so we were safe. Not anymore.

Pray for Dallas y'all. Just pray.

#Columbine #Blacksburg #FortHood #Aurora #SandyHook #Charleston #Roseburg #SanBernardino #Orlando

#Dallas


No comments: