Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Haiti... Part "The Last Couple of Days"

By Friday of my trip to Haiti, I was finally done with cold showers. I was tired of the smell that accompanies used toilet paper that's not flushed but thrown into the garbage can (no flushing toilet paper in Haiti). After a grueling yet rewarding week, I was SO ready to go home. But first... some relaxation.

As an end-of-the-week treat, we drove over an-hour-and-a-half to the Wahoo Bay Beach Club & Resort in Carries. It felt like another world - the swimming pool, the bar with the super sweet rum punches, the Olympics playing on TV (we saw the end of the US Women's soccer match), and the ever-inviting Caribbean blue waters CALLED MY NAME. I was first into the water and stayed there for the next 4-5 hours with short breaks to eat and drink.



















The day was filled with so much fun and laughter. See those floating trampolines in the picture above? We tried repeatedly to make it all the way across the slippery bridge between them and failed miserably. Repeatedly. There were plenty of funniest home video attempts. But I'm happy to say that I finally made it across on my last attempt right before we left. It was awesome.

A highlight of the day... we hopped in a boat to go snorkeling. The water had gotten really choppy and the boat ride felt like a rollercoaster. We got to the drop off spot and the captain gave us goggles, but no snorkels. We called it "goggling." We saw like 3 tiny fish as we tried desperately not to step on the corral reef below us. Thank goodness we had on life jackets... we wouldn't have made it without them. But boy did we have fun. There were so many laughs.

This was definitely a highlight of the trip... and an awesome way to spend our last day in Haiti.




















We made our way back to Port-au-Prince and at one point smelled the most awful smell. Apparently we passed near the area where the victims of the Haiti earthquake were buried in a mass grave. 

We also stopped by Haiti's Olympic training center and snapped a group pic...


























Then it was time to head back to our house and pack. Then we spent one more night enjoying Haiti from the rooftop while we bonded and affirmed each other. It was amazing.

Early the next morning we were up and everyone was getting ready for the airport drop offs. I knew I'd be emotional... but leaving was hard. We'd been warned to be aware of certain feelings - guilt for being home, sadness for not being in Haiti with the children anymore, anger at people for being small-minded... and I've experienced every single one of them. I've been home for almost two weeks but I still don't feel settled. There's still a longing for Haiti. There's no doubt I left a little piece of me there.

Which is why I plan on going back next summer and take friends with me. And in the meantime, I'll continue to support I'm Me and all of the great work they are doing in Haiti. 

No comments: